The Ambient Ping presents holzkopf and ANGELswing

Thanks to all the true Canadians (and a visitor from Fargo)
who have been coming out in the nasty cold & the beautiful
snow these last few weeks and filling up the Ping with a warm
crowd. Check out a page of great photos by Arsen Shirokov
of last week's artist Glenn Love with lasers by Dimitry at
http://www.canadaballoons.com/Nia/  We conclude our
Steve Roach frenzy this week by featuring his third CD
release from the last month or two! - Scott M2

THE AMBiENT PiNG   http://www.theambientping.com
Free - Every Tuesday Night - doors open at 9pm - 1st set at 9:30
  @ club nia / C'est What - 19 Church St. at Front St. - Toronto
         3 blocks east of the Union Station subway.
         map - http://www.cestwhat.com/map.html

This Tuesday February 3rd - holzkopf and ANGELswing

First up, holzkopf (visiting from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan),
plans a set of ambient/soundscapes building up to some beat
driven and glitch parts near the end. Winter melodies, fuzzy
drones & string samples compressed to hell, building in intensity
like a bad drunk. Anchored to the soundscapes are rhythms
lifted from rock & rap, allowing the occasional full-on outburst
of feedback-driven breakdance music and electro-punk.
http://www.daintydeathy.com

Then, for the second set, (visiting from Courtice, Ontario),
Dark Winter recording artist ANGELswing informs us:
"If you like your music bleak and desolate, you will find
yourself right at home. Think IDM/Noise/Black Ambient
and you will most certainly be on the right track. Music is,
without a doubt, the most powerful life-affirming force on
this planet, but when it involves myself, it tends to blur the
line somewhat. If you do choose to attend, you will not
be disappointed - but remember, I like my music dark."
http://www.darkwinter.com/dw04.html

Between Sets CD - "Spirit Dome" by Steve Roach + vidnaObmana
Created in a 1AM continuous 74-minute session and
mastered without any additional editing or additions,
"Spirit Dome" reveals a nocturnal world of gothic dreams
from two ambient masters unafraid of the dark.
http://www.steveroach.com   http://www.vidnaobmana.be

Coming Tuesday February 10th - The Anti-Gravity Machine
REBECCA CAMPBELL - vocals / samples (Jane Siberry,
 Fat Man Waving) http://www.rebeccacampbell.com
MICHEAL KEITH - guitars / samples (MCF, quasiMODAL,
 Planet Of The Loops) http://www.michaelkeith.com
ROBIN EASTON - turntables / samples (Boogie Wall Soundsystem,
 The Skanksters) http://www.liquidaires.com/content/bios/easton.asp
GEORDIE HALEY - guitars / samples  (guitar bonsai,
 Out Of Order, The Everytime Band)

rik maclean's *ping things* CD Reviews

"Window Pain" by Building Castles Out of Matchsticks

"Window Pain", the first release in Piehead Records' 2004
subscription series, is a fantastic collection of emotional
and evocative electronic pieces from the vivid imagination
of Building Castles Out of Matchsticks.

Sounds and textures on the disc are warm and inviting,
where all of the rough edges and sharp points have been
rounded and buffed to a lustrous shine designed to lure the
listener deeper under it's spell. There's a playful quality in
many of these songs, a quirky charm about them that draws
you in hoping you'll stay. You can't help but feel caught up
in the music almost like secret jokes, locational humour
shared with friends.

There's darkness here as well, a sense of both absence
and solitude that permeates throughout the disc, a slight
aftertaste to the sweet sounds and tones that, well, isn't
quite so sweet. Spiraling drones that are shared through
"I have made a list of 374 reasons why I can't live with you
and 375 reasons why I can never ever see you again" and
"Your wandering demons throw pebbles through my heart"
suggest a feeling of loss hidden only by painted clown smiles.

And I guess that it's the masterful way in which these
confliciting emotions are woven together and shared that
makes me enjoy this release so much.  With each new
listen I find myself finding something new to smile at,
something new that brings a tear to my eyes. And isn't
that what all the best music does?

rik maclean - rik@pingthings.com

Steve Roach is currently the Featured Artist at ping things.
Visit http://www.pingthings.com/PTfeaturesNF.htm to read
an exclusive interview with this master of the ambient genre.

Send an e-mail to pingthings-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
for updates on *all* the latest releases on sale at ping things

http://www.pingthings.com = ambient + electronic + chill things

The Ambient Ping presents free live performances by Toronto's
finest ambient, chillout and experimental music artists plus
performers from across the continent, every Tuesday at club nia
(aka C'est What) featuring a comfortable lower stage area, perfect
for attentive listening, plus a higher level with a bar, back room
and more seating that's great for conversation, good food and the
club's impressive beer, wine and whiskey selection. Musical treats
are on offer at the *ping things* ambient/experimental CD boutique.

Please forward this e-mail to any friends who may be interested
in live ambient, chillout and experimental music performances