RE: Improvising vs. composing

hi,

i struggle with this question a lot.

try to evaluate what did/didnt work about the compositions or the process
of
realizing the compositions.

was it your method of communicating the composition to the musicians:
-orally (ex: describing the piece before playing, yelling ideas or cues
during performance),
-notated score (of some convention... or not),
-flash-cards (cues / descriptive..),
-conducting (tempos/grooves/or set-up some system/set of conventions where
your movements determine certain sonic limits: frequency,timbre.. then
dance! or just dance without any system.),
-with your instrument (ex: giving sonic/musical cues, or play a given idea
to one group/musician, then when they have the idea they 'loop' it,
'overdub' other ideas by selecting and playing to other musicians...)

is there is a schism between your expectations of the musicians and their
ability/interest to meet these?  how much trust do you have in your
musicians --at what point are you able to let-go of your creative vision
for
the sake of the performers' personal sense of contribution/responsibility
the music -ultimately, for a successful performance  ??

'composing' comes in all forms... what makes you want to 'compose'?
figure-out what the bare minimum limit(s) that the composition must
satisfy
to fulfil your desire to compose.  then you have a composition. if what
you
desire is simply a return of good improv material, it might be as simple
as
holding up flash card when everyone is doing something you like, so that
they make a mental note to remember exactly what they're doing, then you
can
keep recalling this particular event with the appropriate flash card.
or...
telling your musician(s)  to create an A-B-A structure where 'B' is
distinguished by some marked change of tempo or whatever.  then practise
this composition: by repeatedly creating A-B-A forms. maybe a simpler
composition..

thanks for the opportunity to think about this.  (i appreciate any
comments...)

dani oore

http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~oore/dani/index.html