Re: Public music beta testing - preview of upcoming CD release

On 04-02-04 22.13,  "Bill Fox" <billyfox@soundscapes.us> wrote:

> Hi Per,
>
> I have 56k dialup and no time for downloading so I can't comment on your
>song.
> But in your first sentence, you called it ambient so why are you looking
>for a
> style name?  Marketing a CD is the hardest part of being a musician if
>you're
> marketing it yourself.  Or you could shop it to record labels.  Have you
>tried
> Groove, Hypnos, Space for Music, or any of the others?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bill Fox

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the input! It's just that the style name "ambient" seems very
broad today. As for myself "ambient" can go for as apart stuff as eighty
year old piano pieces by Eric Satie, the Britches Brew album by Miles, most
Orb stuff as well as simple field recordings, and at yet all these examples
might go by different descriptions with other people - like "classic",
"jazz", "techno" etc. "Ambient", as I understand it, stands for music that
might serve as well for concentrated listening as for providing an
ambience/background for other activities. A description based based on how
the music is being used. Other descriptions might be based on a certain
vibe, or emotion, communicated within the music. Like "Space Music" has
adopted its definite  criteria, even though I have never seen an explicit
listing of them, after Stephen Hill's well known radio shows. I once read
somewhere that "a good Science Fiction novel has to leave the reader in a
certain Sense-Of-Wonder", and I think that's a good example of a "vibe
based
style description". So what's that applied on music? ;-)

All the best

Per Boysen