ETHEL and LAURIE- Nyc

Nope - it's not a wedding announcement. Just some thoughts on a great
show.....

Anyone else check out that excellent show last week -  THU 2/26 at Merkin
Hall, NYC?? When I was sitting AT the show - I said "Oops - I should have
pre-arranged some kinda looper meeting spot...

Anyway - great show!!! ETHEL kick a lot of ass.. Todd and friends really it
the crowd hard...i think they had at least as many fans there as Ms L. !
Some fine fine pieces, and we got to see a couple twice due to tech errors
-
the quartet did some re-takes AFTER the end of Laurie's show. Bonus!!

And the inimitable Laurie Anderson was as always - fantastic..sublime.
She did a kinda 'retro' show for her -- the recent two times I saw her she
had the band with Peter Scherer, and the other time was the Moby Dick
treatment. But - this was good ol' Laurie--one woman show..witha  keyboard,
midi bass pedals, a couple modules and fx - and a mackie (?) mixer. Simple
setup. She also played her NEW violin - apparently customs had loast her
prized older one (boo!).

She would set up a drone or ambient synth pad..and tell her unique stories
and always astute observations. She is re-visiting an old fave topic -
LANGUAGE and also taking a wry look at this thing we call ART. Very cool
'works in progress' - stay tuned!!

The show will be re-broadcast on WNYC 93.9FM as well as www.wnyc.org on WED
MAR 10 - 11pm ET. Portions of the set by both ETHEL and Laurie will be
broadcast.

Cheers!!

Andre'