Re: repeater in FX loop

On 04-03-03 22.49,  "Paul Greenstein" <paul@ubiq.co.uk> wrote:

> Not strictly a looping issue, but anyway -
>
> I'm using a TC G-Major and Repeater. Getting back into going out and
> playing live, I've invested in a Mesa Boogie F-50 combo.
>
> Both devices (particularly the G-Major) are designed to work best in an
> amp FX send/return loop.
>
> However:
>
> a. The Repeater, when playing back loops, essentially is going direct
> to the power-amp section of the boogie, which delivers a deafening 50
> watts, even with everything turned down to 0. This is obviously
> unusable.
>
> b. The boogie's FX loops runs in parallel, so the dry signal is always
> audible unless the FX mix is turned right up. This produces lots of
> noise. I'd like to be able to play pitch shifted stuff without hearing
> the dry signal at all.
>
> I could run the G-Major and Repeater in front of the amp input rather
> than through the FX loop, but the G-Major requires a pre-amp rather
> than a guitar input and I would rather not use another preamp in front
> of the combo.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions/solutions?
>

> Paul

When I'm playing guitar with my Repeater I use to leave my Sovtek tube top
and cabinet behind and use a guitar preamp with a mixer instead. That way I
can get a lot more routing options for looping.

Tube amp sound is great but I've never come up with a way to combine it
with
looping devices. I've been using real amps on big tours with ok backline
and
in the studio, but not for looping.

Best wishes

Per Boysen