Re: live looping amplification etc.

I feel compelled to pipe in here, since in the past I've posted various
questions, ideas and frustrations on getting a good guitar/tube amp setup
along with all of my looper and fx devices.

I've tried a lot of things, including dummy loading my Rivera Knucklehead,
tube and digital preamps, full range speakers, JC-120s, stompboxes, and
just
blowing it all off for a while and playing my new acoustic. :)

I've finally ended up with a solution that sounds great, and is fairly
portable.  The Gibson GA-30RVS combo amp is probably the key to my current
happiness.  Class A, stereo 15 watts per side, 2x12, stereo effects loop w/
a serial and parallel settings, beautiful reverb and clean+drive tones.
I'm
not really recommending that all you tube heads run out and buy one... but
then again, maybe I am.

I put a 4 space SKB shallow rack on top of that, with a Rocktron 612 line
mixer, a G-Major, and 2 EDPs inside of it, and run the G-Major and the EDPs
in parallel (via the mixer).  Level/gain setting is very easy and rarely
needs adjustment - I can basically decide my overall volume based on the
amp's volume knob.  I can (just barely) carry the Gibson amp and the rack
at
the same time with my guitar gig bag (with an FCB1010 in it also) on my
back, so I can unload this rig in a single trip from my car.  OK, I usually
make 2.

I'm finally convinced that I can bring powerful looping and fx options
together with a tube amp, and not lose *any* of the tube goodness.  I think
the key is to keep the loopers/fx in parallel to the basic guitar signal.
That requires a tube amp with a good parallel fx loop.

Of course, Andre's been doing his thing with just a guitar into a Mesa
Boogie combo with a single EDP in the fx loop for years now.  Sometimes
when
I treat a loop with a strange, pitch shifted and filtered G-Major patch...
I feel so dirty. :)

Doug