Re: the coloring of the guitar (add to: live looping amplification)

Coloring of the guitar: an interesting phrase -
There are so many factors involved in terms of the final sound that
reaches the listener's ears. We are creating 'Sonorous Air' (not my
words) - but I think a good way to describe an intangible process. With
experience, the musician learns to control all aspects of his/her
tools, from strings on wood through to digital hardware and software.
Dynamics, phrasing, tempo - it's the stuff that makes playing music a
world in itself. An analogue for life but also a great escape.

On a more down to earth level - I regularly waste many words trying to
explain what I do and want to achieve to people who work in music
stores - you want to get their input regarding the choices you might
make when buying some piece of gear, tube amplifier or whatever, but
they can only see things in terms of 'all you need is three channels -
clean, crunch and lead'... There's more to it than that, as Matthias's
comments demonstrate.

Paul