Re: Loop Music Name! Was RE: Using Samplers live?

on 4/18/04 11:41 AM, Gary Lehmann at hqr@cox.net wrote:

> Then how about "Real time Sampling" as a name for looping?
> Just trying to cause trouble . . .

See my earlier message in which I attempted to make a distinction between
"Real Time Sampling" and "Live Looping" from a listening experience
standpoint. Both are done live. Both benefit from the rhythmic precision of
good looping equipment. It mostly becomes a matter of what the musician
does
with it afterward and whether the loopy nature of the sample matters.

I also noted in that message that there is a continuum and the distinction
has to do with stylistic centers of gravity rather than hard boundaries. In
my categorization, Rick Walker floats around the live looping center of
gravity. John Whooley floats around the real time sampling center of
gravity.

Mark