Re: Ableton Live attention Per Boyson

Sorry Per, but i humbly withhold that you are wrong at this point since
i've
seen it done in the Live 3 video-demo.

I read through the manual and checked the part about legato.

Lagato does to the samples just what legato means. i.e. it enables one
sample to start from the point where the last sample in the same track
ended. That is if a sample has played 50% through its full length then the
next sample triggered starts 50% into it's own length.

Let's say that you want any sample recorded on track 1 to be pitchable from
the keyboard.

Here's what you do:
1) Turn on Midi-learn
2) Select the "Track Launch"-button for track 1 (so that you can start or
stop any sampleslot in track one)
3) Press one key on your keyboard AND while still having that key pressed,
press another key. For example: C-1 and C-2
4) Get out of Midi-learn
5) Start any sample in track one
6) Press any key within the C-1 and C-2 range.

Result:
The key C-1 is the base-pitch that the sample was set to and the rest of
the
keys are pitches chromaticly upwards.

You can confirm this visually by looking at the Transpose-knob while
changing pitch with the keyboard. You will see the automation (orange
stripe
on the Transpose-knob) moving to the pitch-changes.

Pros: You can change pitch of the sample with a keyboard or any other
mididevice that sends midi-note events.

Cons: As Michael Stauffer noted you can only change the Pitch either
Upwards
OR Downwards from the base-transpose. Also, the pitchchanges are tied to
the
re-trigg quantize of the sample and song meaning that you have to change
quantize of the sample AND turn on Legato for the sample so it doesn't
re-start every time you change pitch.

Anyway, the function is there, it's not just as obvious and simple as one
would expect it to be. Ableton is on the right track function-wise but they
definitly needs to put some more of that live-magic onto the usability of
the function. ;)

/Tias