RE: peater trick

     Duncan,

     It actually has been posted here before, though not as eloquently as
you just did.  Perhaps
because of that I never got around to trying it until just now.

     I found that I really have to watch the gain staging to find out
where best to tweak the
gain.  I've got my 'Peater input patched through my 16 channel Mackie via
sub outs 3 & 4.  Any
channel with 3 & 4 engaged gets sent to the 'Peater.  'Peater comes back
into the Mackie on 2
input channels.  After a bit of tweaking, it seems that the best place to
control gain is on the
sub out 3 & 4 faders.  Alternately, I suppose I could do the same on the
front panel input knob on
the 'Peater, though I like to set it for "optimal" and leave it there.

     Then adjusting feedback to 50% or less and making the loop really
short gives me a good
handle on controlling the beast.  When not in record, I have great control
over exact interval
tuning choice, down to the nearest cent.  For example, try setting the
transpose function to any
one of a number of "just" intervals, like 2.31 or 2.67 (the ratios 8/7 and
7/6 respectively).
Then I go "chasing" after the pitch rise with my ribbon controller
(Kurzweil ExpressionMate)...
fun!

     Thanks again Duncan for a clear exposition of this fantastic beast.

                Stephen