Guitar Effects Pedals 101

Hello gang,

I've not posted much, as I find that reading the dailies keeps me informed and intrigued by this thing we call looping...

Anyway, being a guitarist for nearly 2.5 yrs now and a looper for 1 of them, I have questions and concerns, and a will to learn. I bought the compilation CD The Longest Day, and was wondering about what effects are used to create some of the sounds?

The sounds are those droning, soundscap-ey backgrounds, and the others are some guitar effects, such as that distinguishable David Gilmour sound, or say, someone like Nik Barrett of Pendragon who is playing a lead over looped backgrounds. I am pretty familiar with delay, reverb...but not sure about phase, flange, etc. amp modelers...

So, to keep it short...can anyone provide some info as to how these sounds are created? I feel "stuck" in my looping creativity and wish to progress further, rather than lay down licks and play live over them. Perhaps I need some education in compositions well? Anyway, I thought that this group was the right place to ask.

My gear:

Fernandes LP w/ sustainer>Boss Volume>Digitech RP100>Boss Octave>DL-4>Boss RC-20>Boss Volume>Fender Reverb Deluxe

Thanks, I look forward to any and all guidance and advice.

Ed in NJ

PS You can post or email me privately...