Re: 1st Loop Workaround in Ableton's LIVE 4.0

> I can't give an articulate defense, Per, but  someone once explained
> to me
> why it is a much more difficult thing
> to accomplish '1st loop capability' in a VST plugin that has to work
> inside
> of a host program.  I"m not a programmer and am not knowledgeable
> enough to recount the explanation, but it made sense to me at the time.

I think this would only be true if the plugin were limited in how it
can sync with the host. Giving Augustus Loop '1st loop capability' was
a piece of cake, but it doesn't do any syncing yet.

It would also make a difference whether the software was disk-based or
RAM-based (easier if RAM-based). Ableton Live always used to be
disk-based but as I recall they put in an option for RAM-based clips in
version 3. But I don't know if it's possible to record into RAM, or
whether you can only buffer a clip from disk into RAM.

> I know that one salient feature of VST plugins is that they are so
> easy to
> bootleg (unlike full programs which are easier to protect).
> Consequently a lot of top developers are afraid to design something
> that
> they have a slim chance of making money for their hard work.

I'm not quite sure if this is true. It's all just software - I don't
see why a plug-in should be easier to rip than a standalone
application.

cheers,
os.

os@collective.co.uk