RE: 1st Loop Workaround in Ableton's LIVE 4.0

Maybe we're actually saying the same thing and I'm just reacting
strongly to the phrase "virtually impossible." Yes, it would have to be
a new "first loop feature" but no, I don't understand why it would be
programming stretch, because Live already wants to know how long your
loops are (# of beats) anyway. It would be as simple as adding a feature
that sez:
extract tempo from this loop, given this loop length in # of beats,
which would replace typing a new tempo into the tempo field. The only
thing you would need to deal with in terms of a first loop function
would be the ability to define # of beats for the newly recorded loop
before and/or after it has been recorded.
AND/OR, it could be an ongoing setting, replacing other sync settings,
wherein ONE looped sample, does not have the granulation applied, but
instead acts as the master tempo sync for the rest of the samples.

I know it would require additional coding, I just think (from my layman
POV) that such coding should be relatively concise and straightforward.
And that the feature could actually come in handy for quite a few people
other than live loop fanatics. Often in a production setting I have a
loop I would like to use as a master, and as such I would prefer that it
not be granulated (even subtly), and that all the other loops sync to
it.

-- Sarth

Synthesis
> and
> that is indeed based on sample-length in the Tempo-domain and not the
> Time-domain.
>
> > Live has the ability to defeat the time-stretching functionality on
any
> > sample. So having the software extract the tempo from the object
length
> > on a non-timestretched sample should actually be a relatively simple
> > task. This is a one-click operation in Logic, a drag and drop in
Kyma,