Re: Tactics for Circumventing Musical Ruts

Another way to break out of a musical rut -- stop playing music for a
while!

I remember hearing from a trumpet playing friend that Miles Davis would
occassionally just stop playing for periods of time -- which I can
understand as a way to losen the hold of mechanisms and habits formed over
period of time.

I've ried it a few times, and what I've noticed is that if I combine
"getting back on the horse" approach while also "changing the horse"
(change
guitar, amp, band, rehearsal space, whatever) it can be quite effective.

David