Line 6 echo pro questions

Hi folks, I'm thinking of buying one of these puppies so that I can keep my Repeater in the studio and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using this as a looper.  I'm especially concerned about the lack of any loop on/off pedal input to start/stop loops.  Is the Behringer FCB 1010 the smallest and least expensive unit to do the job or are there any other options?  Also is it better to use this thing in an effects loop, at the front end before the amp or with a mixer (in the aux send/return).  Any ideas.

Any advice/help/info would be gladly welcome.

Thanks,
Jeff Bragg