Re: Echo Pros in Stereo (was Gig in Cleveland)

At 10:49 AM 8/8/2004, the toy room wrote:
>I'm most curious about how people are implementing the 'Record' function
>of an Echo Pro (or two).  It seems there isn't a midi command that makes
>the Echo Pro record button to act like the DL4.

Hrm, not certain exactly how the DL4 buttons act (I thought they operated
the same on both units, but obviously I'm mistaken), but let me take a
crack at it.

>Can someone please tell me what midi command you are using for 'Record'
>and/or 'overdub' and how it implements?

I'm actually using the Continuous Controller strings rather than MIDI
notes.  I found what appeared to be a couple of documentation errors
(although they could always just be user errors) regarding the note
numbers, and just found it easier to program the CC's or Program Changes.

>Right now, I'm using midi note number 60, and that works somewhat how I
>want it, with the exception that I need to hold down the footswitch
>while I'm recording, and when I let off the switch, it is immediately in
>overdub.  I need to tap it again to take it into 'play' mode.

It sounds like what you're actually looking for is the command that puts
the Echo Pro through the Record/Play/Stop/Play chain.  If you want to
stick
with MIDI notes, that's actually note number 61.  For Continuous
Controller's, you'd send CC #83 with a value of 127.  You should also be
able to toggle through the chain by sending Program Change #101 over and
over.

I'd also program a second pedal with MIDI note number 71, if you haven't
already.  That's the Loop Reset command, and is invaluable as an undo if
you ever blow the take on your first pass.  Otherwise, you're trapped in
the Rec/Play/Stop/Play without a clear way to get back to Record.

Alternately, you could set it up with two separate buttons: one for Record
(note 60, CC#50 value >64, PC#103) and a second button for Play (note 68,
CC#28 value >64, PC#106).  Personally, I just find it easier to keep my
foot on a single button for that function, though.

Let me know how that works for you...

         --m.

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil