RE: offtopicalia!

I too like Lenny Kravitz. You must be very young and naïve to believe that.
I personally think Lenny is a good songwriter. I think musicians are of
different threads, and that doesn't make any better or worse. Being on the
radio and making millions doesn't make one a sellout. In fact, it is quite
talent in and of itself to make music that has mass appeal. And it takes
even more talent and business savvy to still be popular as many years as he
has been. When he first got huge in the late 80's, hairbands were all the
rage (like poison, motley crue, great white, and the like). He didn't jump
on that bandwagon did he? No. Also, in the 90's - when everyone was grungy
and depressing, did he jump on that bandwagon? No! He put out a Hendrixy
"Are You Gonna Go My Way".

That same trend has continued in his career.

You have to play what comes from your heart, and then market it
appropriately.

For instance:

Certain people's music gravitates toward certain markets. I remember the
guys from Weezer saying the reason they went with a major label was because
their music had a "major label sound" and commercial appeal. If they didn't
have that sound and had a sound more like Wilco, or Built To Spill, they
would have gone with a smaller label and built up loyalty through
relentless
touring.

My point is: either route they (Weezer) went - the music they made was
genuine. They weren't going to stifle their creativity because the music
"sounded too commercial". That music is what came out of them - and so that
is what they put down on Tape (or disk or whatever). They marketed to that
commercial audience - and the result? They made millions making the catchy
music they love to make.

I personally love flashy rock concerts with good songs and musicianship.
After the grunge of the 90's I am sooo tired of people staring at the floor
and being "real" (supposedly) and serious. I don't want to go to rock shows
to get educated (usually) or get bummed out (never). I want to have fun and
be engaged by the performer.

(But Lenny does have a huge ego - according to reports.)

Thanks,

DM