The PiNG presents Arms Full of Sound

Welcome back to THE AMBiENT PiNG's update after a couple
of weeks off. We're ready to start again at the PiNG's new home
at the Gladstone Hotel Ballroom.

Both the Queen Streetcar and the Dufferin Bus stop right at
the hotel and street parking is available on Queen Street (and
some of the side streets). http://www.gladstonehotel.com

THE AMBiENT PiNG   http://www.theambientping.com
Every Tuesday Night @ The Gladstone Hotel Ballroom
1214 Queen St. West (At the corner of Gladstone/Dufferin St.)
Doors open at 9pm - 1st set at 9:30 - PayWhatYouCan
http://www.gladstonehotel.com/MapQuest%20Maps%20map.htm

This Tuesday September 7th - Arms Full of Sound

"Arms Full of Sound returns to the PiNG to take listeners on
another journey of the ambient mind in the first of a 2-show
series titled, "Journey to Ambientia". On Sept. 7th, using an
array of analogue & digital sound synthesis, Arms Full of Sound
will create the soundscape for your mind as it travels deeper
into thoughtful imagery. Listen to the familiar tunes from the
releases of "Pieces of a Larger Experiment" and "Minework
in G" as you indulge in the new music of the latest CD "Air
is the Means".  Part 2 of "Journey to Ambientia" will happen
at the PiNG on December 7th, 2004. Don't miss Part 1 -
coming this Tuesday.   http://www.phpro.info/afos/main.html

Between Sets CD - "A Troubled Resting Place" by Robert Rich
A collection of pieces created for various CD compilations from
1993 to 1995. All are on the darker side of ambient - "a calm
surface hiding a subterrranean turmoil."  http://www.robertrich.com

Coming September 14th - vinyl vandal and Wendy Atkinson
http://www.besonic.com/vinylvandal
http://www.tinforest.com/tinfr/wendyatkinson/

rik maclean's *ping things* CD Reviews

With the release of "Fluidities", Jonathan Hughes has created
a fascinating experiment in ambience. Featuring two CDs of
eleven tracks each, all of them six minutes in length and written
in similar keys, the discs of "Fluidities" are meant to be listened
to simultaneously in any combination. Tracks are supposed to
blend and entwine with eachother in order to create new pieces
through synthesis. Think about this for a minute... While most
double disc collections would feature a couple of hours of music,
"Fluidities" offers a potential for over twelve hours given that there
are 121 possible combinations of tracks!

Of course that's only considering the math of the matter. There's
the whole issue of spatial dynamics to think about too. Let me
give you an example. My stereo is in my bedroom. My DVD
player is in the living room.  So to play the two discs at the
same time I have to set them running in different parts of the
apartment. And since I have to sit somewhere to listen, there's
a bias towards one or the other in terms of volume, acoustics,
the reverb of the room. You can see where this is headed.

And I think when you start considering the possibilities, it
becomes clear that we're talking about the ambient ideal here,
music that can be listened to with whatever level of involvement
the listener is willing to give it. You have to be willing to make
an effort to fully explore this disc. But if you don't want to,
that's okay too, the music exists by itself just as well, just as easily.

Speaking of the music, I just realized that I've gotten so
wrapped up in the conceptual nature of the disc that I haven't
taken the time to comment on the music. Quite simply it's a
brilliant collection of pieces, some by Jonathan Hughes himself,
some tracks collaborations between Hughes and other artists,
and still more pieces by a variety of talents in the ambient genre.
Saul Stokes, Michael Bentley, Dean Santomieri, Interstitial,
dreamSTATE and more all contribute to the disc, all adding
ingrediants to the menu. I could go into detail about all the tracks,
even comment on the aspects of various combinations, but
to be honest any comments I make would only scratch the
surface. Better to listen for yourself and experience it on your
own. You have my word that there's some beautiful work here,
ranging from flowing ambient elegance, to mirror worlds of dark
matter and abstract patterns. A little something for everyone.

So pick up a copy and find yourself a twelve hour chunk of time.
You won't be disappointed with the results.

rik maclean - rik@pingthings.com

http://www.pingthings.com = ambient + electronic + chill things

Send an e-mail to pingthings-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
for updates on *all* the latest releases on sale at ping things

THE AMBiENT PiNG presents free live performances by Toronto's
finest ambient, chillout and experimental music artists plus
performers from across the continent, every Tuesday evening
at the Ballroom in the Gladstone Hotel (1214 Queen Street West
at Gladstone/Dufferin St.)  http://www.gladstonehotel.com

Please forward this e-mail to any friends who may be interested
in live ambient, chillout and experimental music performances
or to any of your appropriate newsgroups. Thanks.

To unsubscribe - reply with 'unsubscribe' in the e-mail body.