Re: In Praise of Taking Risks with Artistry (was conundrum, re: bjork's new CD)

Nah--young artists need to see someone who is good who has chosen art
with a capital 'A' over commerce with a capital 'C'.  Different and
experimental by themselves don't have any value.  Much as I enjoy the
concept of Bjork, I'm positive that she'd be a footnote without her
striking videos.  Her recent output strikes me as tuneless exercises in
amazing production, and I get the distinct impression that the backing
tracks are welded onto the vocals via sheer willpower and overdubbery.

Bjork is also one of the worst offenders when it comes to putting out
umpteen different versions of each single, album and video to wring
money out of the devout fan.  I have friends who are Bjork completists,
and it's hundreds of dollars a year.  She makes the Cure discography
look barren in comparison.  Hardly the work of someone valuing pure Art
over Commerce.

So, to summarize my position: always value "Good" over "Different".

TravisH