Re: Hey you studio recording people

FWIW, I hate auralex and sonex.

The big problem is that, while they have a limited effect on high
frequency response,  they do almost nothing for the low-mids and low
range. So they'll get ride of annoying early reflections (ping), but
do absolutely nothing to make your room better to mix in.

The little foam 'dimples' in the foam are about as effective, aurally,
as the arrows on a peice of monster cable, that show the 'direction'
that the cable should be used. Flat sheets of foam would be as
effective, and not as nearly effective as compressed fibreglass that
is used by professional acousticians. Their corner traps are even more
useless, and mic 'traps' are a bad joke.

The overall hucksterism is quite a turn off. They pretend that their
products are the be all and end alll of sound improvement, when in
fact, they are about the absolute minimum you can do. Notice how when
you click on the 'hear a sample of this product' you are directed to
exactly the same crappy sample? You will have comparably, if not
better effects by hanging moving blankets or carpet remnants in your
space. Watch out for fireproofing if you go this route, however.

Still, I've used auralex to set up three separate studios. Why?
Because none of them were for music - they were for industrial video
work, where sound quality wasn't a big issue, and I didn't have the
inclination to spend more money or time on the problem. It was partly
to make the talent think it was in a 'professional studio' (this is
more important than you might think in getting a good take :>) and
partly because it does reduce the 'sproing of early reflections a bit.
It never reduces the early reflections as much as I hope it will
though. When people comment on the 'fancy foam' I >never< do the clap
test - there's always still plenty of early reflection.

I've also used foam in my vocal booth, with even more dissappointing
results. I had hoped that, since I would only be recording vox in
there, I could get away using several boxes of Sonex I had been given
for free - since the low end would be limited. It hasn't gotten
entirely rid of the room, however, and I can hear a little muddiness
that I wasn't getting when I was recording vox in the completely
untreated control room at my last house.

Instead of auralex's guitar center-approved foam, I would recomend
buying sheets of compress fibreglass 705, wrapping them in cheap bed
sheets from target. To be extra cautious, spray the bed sheets with
flame retardent - the fibre glass isn't flammable, however.

When you have the extra money, purchase some bass traps from
www.realtraps.com, for your corners.

Check out recording.org's acoustics forum for >lots< more info on this
subject,

bIz

"Groovetronica's melodic, chill madness is perfect for everyone." -
Editor's pick - music.download.com. More than three and a half
thousand downloads makes us their #1 downloaded downtempo artist.

Check out our website - http://www.groovetronica.com
Hear tracks from the new EP and sign up to have us send you our next
cd release - for free!

and Sex Music</a>