From: Ben Grossman [mailto:nostyle@sympatico.ca]
Sent: 04 November 2004 17:54
To: loopers-delight
Subject: misbehaving EDP! Help please!

Hello to you all,

I recently bought a used Oberheim EDP with loop III and 2x 1meg and 2x
256k simms in it.  It worked fine when I got it.  I then put in the
loop IV chip (thanks, Kim).  It worked fine.  After much searching I
finally found 4 4meg simms to put in.  I put them in and it showed the
full 198 seconds upon start-up.  Now I started having intermittent
(then more frequent) episodes of full volume nasty noise on the output
whenever I tried to record.  An amazing noise, really...I enjoyed
putting it through effects and making Autechre-type sounds for a full
five minutes or so, but then decided that I wanted a lightly more
flexible machine...  I assumed that one (or more) of the RAM sticks was

suspect so I started to swap the sticks to see if I could find the
culprit.  Now it seems that the machine will not recognise ANY of my
simms in the front two slots.  I have 2 4megs in the rear slots and it
SEEMS to be OK (albeit at only 100 seconds).  I'm keeping it warm now
to see: I have gigs this weekend...you know the routine.

So.  Are the RAM slots damaged (my problem all along) and my fiddling
did them in?  Problems with the OS or other components?  Should I try a

parameter reset?  Or something more radical?  More to the point: has
anyone experienced similar problems?  I did check the archives, but
found nothing similar.

If I'm truly up the creek, does anyone know of a place in Canada (S
Ontario, preferably) that could fix 'er up?

Thanks very much!!!!

Regards,

Ben

Ben Grossman