Re: Dream Looping Venues?

I don't know if I should call this a "dream" or a "nightmare" venue,
but I once did a concert inside the anchorage of the Brooklyn Bridge.
This is on the Brooklyn side of the bridge, which is a large stone
structure with a number of immense rooms inside. We played in the
largest of these, a chamber with ceilings perhaps three stories high,
walls made of immense blocks of granite, and acoustics that are as
reverberant as you'd imagine. We were doing rather dense partly
improvised music for voice, tape, and electronics with a quad
surround system. It was pretty much mud, but it looked nice.

Another, even larger venue was the Pension Building in Washington DC.
This is a huge space (that at one time was use to stable horses!)
with immense columns holding  up a roof that was probably three or
four stories high. The central are was broad and open with
surrounding galleries on all floors above. This was actually the
second gig on the same 1983 tour, so it was the same material booming
forth into a cavernous space.

Either of these spaces would have been quite wonderful for loop music.

Another architectural space that would be be wonderful is the lobby
of Building 7 at MIT. It's the space just inside the main entrance at
77 Mass Ave, a 4-story space with immense columns and dome with
skylight on top.

The main lobby of the American Museum of Natural History in New York
would also be great. Another cavernous multi-story stone space,
complete with the mounted skeletons of battling dinosaurs.

But perhaps the most inspiring of such spaces for me would be the
Pantheon in Rome!

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com