RE: Robert Fripp's Radiophonics (To Synth or not to Synth)

Hi guys n gals

its Phill Aka Lol C Aka Blackface etc.

after a long hard road with getting chucked out of this group with my
previous address I have changed to a new account just for this list and so
far it all seems to be going roses.

I wanted to chime in on this one because it is probably one of the biggest
questions that i have been asking myself latley,(should I allow myself to
get into synths)  i cant belive I have not brought the topic to this forum
before.

to my mind  this debate of whether to use a synth fx unit or whether I
stick
to creating all my sounds using just a guitar  begins with me asking the
question of why I loop in the first place, to eleborate, if you want to do
so many things why not get a band  or at least a precussionist or
something.

part of the reason that I always stop just short of buying a guitar synth
is
that a LARGE part of the reason i loop is that this paradigm creates an
element of limitation, synths and so on seem to offer such a large range
of
sound tweaks and so on that i think i would spend so much time playing
with
the  pallette, of sounds available I may never actually loop.

another of my problems with synths is that the reason I loop is that it is
somehow "real" and "live", I am comfortable with what I know about it and
how I can justifiy it to others if they are interested. I can show people
how this is all done by one person in realtime without the use of samples
or
whatever (its not that I dont like samples , its just that within my own
paradigm I would have to think........ well, if you use a sample of drums
why not get a drum machine, which is only one step away from a sequencer
and
a drum machine on a laptop which is only one step from a drum machine a
sequence and some orchestration, then i would think why not do a backing
track and before you know it you are a karioke artist not a
looper.........
)

sorry that all kind of burst out, hope you see what I mean though, all
those
things are useful to some people some of the time, but I think I am scared
of where that first step of buying a synth might lead.

I think that I need to set my self some boundrys within which to work,
this
also has implications for normal gig settings too, I already write stuff
at
home that uses so many different pedal combinations that I have to start
from the bottom up and rbuild before I have a song that is usable on the
road sort of speak, I think this might also get worse if I added other
stuff
a guitar synth, a real synth for that matter or even a pair of bongos, all
of this would in one hand make my life simpler by giving my easy access to
things that i have to be very creative to achieve with my current sound
setup, but would also paradoxically complicate my setup by adding in more
floorspace/another input/wallwart/if its a live instrument anothe rmic and
more risk of feedback etc..........

I think you will be able to tell by this ramble just how confused I am
about
this, but hopefully if you all chime in I might reply with what I feel in
few days time!!!

Bye for now

Phill

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger