Re: CONTRAINT OF RANDOMNESS

"samba -" <sambacomet@hotmail.com> put forth:
>    Interesting is one of the qualities music can have. Repetition can be
> used to move the body to dance, and /or induce trance in ways that have
> nothing to do with stimulating the intellect.
>
> There's no denying it: this can be as boring to listen to as listening to
> a perfectly quantized drum machine pattern looping over and over.
>
> ..and a drummer playing the same thing over and over is interesting?"

I believe there is virtue in repetition, on quite a number of levels that I
have never quantified.

Unfortunately I also find a quantized drum pattern in Continuous Repeat
Mode
to be nearly as much of a signature of No Creativity Onboard as the default
ringtone on Vodaphone mobiles (when it's not changed right after purchase
of
course).

Equally unfortunately I find not only that many people in Europe and the UK
actually LIKE a quantized drum pattern in Continuous Repeat Mode, but that
they also don't change the default ringtone on their Vodaphone mobiles
(even
after having owned them for some time).

So I don't know whether this is a Good Thing, or whether I'm just turning
into a Geezer.  Or perhaps I just miss the music in the USA.  Which
hopefully isn't like the undistinguishable replicated bumph they shovel out
and mindlessly listen to in the UK.  Now back to yelling at Paypal. :)

Stephen Goodman
* Cartoons about DVDs and Stuff
* http://www.medialinenews.com
* http://www.earthlight.net/HiddenTrack