Re: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V04 #530

Even if the compressor/limiter doesn't add any hiss of its own, it
tends to amplify the noise already present in the signal, and in many
situations the noise is masked by other instruments, usually the
cymbals.  When it's just one instrument, there's less to hide behind.

And I don't really want to limit the signal either--I'd just prefer to
have an effects unit that had wider dynamic range.  I recall the Vortex
had several patches that produced a goodly amount of hiss even when
nothing was running through it, and of course those ones were of
interest to me.