Re: EchoplexDP Plus: "tick-tick-tick" noise problem

I'm very sorry that I'm late in posting to this thread.

I think the EDP knows when a "Cox" owns it, and does this :)  Actually,
mine is MUCH worse, when it occurs.  Those pops sound like explosions on
my EDP.  On my unit, it only happens after some serious overdubbing,
multiplying, and next-looping.  But I have done all of the tests
mentioned (and more) and I can confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt that
it is internal to the EDP, and is not heat related (I've had it happen
on the first loop of the day on a unit that has been powered down all
night).

Kim Flint suggested that I try new memory, and I've yet to get that
done.  I *have* swapped memory between my 2 EDPs (didn't help), but
they're both the same memory type, and I suspect it may be realted to
the fact that they are the 8 chip variety vs. the 2 or 3 chip.  So, in
the end, I can't help much on a fix, but I CAN confirm that this happens
on one of my EDPs also.  Just worse - much louder and nastier.

I will post Kim's reply to my questions here, in case it helps.  I'm
sure that he won't mind:

Hi Doug-

I don't see anything from your setup that would cause the problem. It is
likely some hardware issue with that unit.

There may be a few things you can do before sending it to somebody. You
could try reseating any of the IC's that are in sockets, sometimes they
get dirty or corroded with time and cause strange behavior like this.
Carefully pull them out of the sockets, clean the pins as you did, and
reinstall them. Often that is enough to make the electrical contacts
good again if they have gotten flaky.

Another rare possibility could be a problem with one of the memory
simms. You might try replacing them if you can get your hands on some
4MB 30pin simms, and see if that helps. I recommend simms that have 2 or
3 chips on them. (the 8/9 chip variety has on rare occasion caused
problems, so you might as well not take the chance.) I most recently got
these from Kahlon:
http://www.kahlon.com/category.asp?catID=1#4

Otherwise you will need to send it to somebody for repair. You would
have to contact Gibson for that. Ultimately the person you want is Shane
Radtke, who I assume they will direct you to. I'm not sure if he still
works for gibson. His service company is http://www.britishaudioservice.com

kim