Re: Mahavishnu was more than speed Re: ELP and shredding

> Ah, Brian Jones Syndrome...not a bad condition to have!

> As for Mahavishnu, they were always bigger than mere
technique, for me. I loved the compositions, most of them.
How many people can ROCK AT 11/4?? (LOL)

Well, it's a different genre (not jazz/rock), but Rush, Yes,
and Dream Theater have done a pretty damn good job at
playing the heavey stuff in odd time signatures...especially
DM. But, I agree, Mahavishnu is amazing...got all their
stuff in my collection. Ever listen much to Larry Coryell?

> Those cats could. All day.
Still holds up for me... To this day, I can even hum you
John's solos, because in spite of their sheer speed, there
was a certain beauty to a lot of them. The songs play in my
head, still, and if you're gonna have a song stuck in your
head, you could do a lot worse than "Birds of Fire."
Yours in Lenny White (another fine drummer),
Tim

If you like that old McLaughlin stuff, you should check out
his "The Heart of Things" and "The Promise". On the Promise,
the song Jazz Jungle is out of this world...in fact, John
has described this as his idea of jazz fusion.

Kris