mac recording question

is there a difference if i come out of my mixer and go into the usb port then to the computer or straight from the mixer and into the mac audio in.....the reason i ask is the usb port that i bought seems to not want to work all of the time and that was souring me on the whole computer as recorder issue.....so i have not been recording anything for ages.....today, having gotten sick with my sorry ass for not being able to get this stuff together i just went form my mackie right into my mac and it worked!.....i bypassed the usb altogether.....am i missing anything nonusbing?.....thnaks.....michael