RE: All-Laptop live?

-----Original Message-----
From: mwsmart@insightbb.com [mailto:mwsmart@insightbb.com]

> I am thinking of heading this way, too. Especially since I have
strained my
back carrying stuff for the last two looping gigs!

You too?  I had to leave my rack in my vehicle a few days ago, because
the thought of lifting it was horrifying.  15 years ago I had a 20 space
rack, and it was so heavy and big that I kept it in my living room, and
ran all my audio cables, MIDI controller cables, etc...down through a
hole in the basement...that way I didn't have to lift the rack far into
my truck.

 > I like the way my jazz setup sounds, but it's too heavy. Maybe I need
to mount wheels and a handle on the pedalboard cases so I can wheel 'em
around like a suitcase.

I have a portable dolly that works great...until you get a gig where you
have a bunch of stairs to climb.  Good luck on that.

<http://www.marksmart.net/gearhack/jazzpedalboard/jazzpedalboard.html>

> I was playing around with Reaktor this weekend on my home PC, and it
was really easy to get a basic looping thing going and have a pedal
control it via MIDI.

Can you do something equivalent to the EDP multiply? Does Live allow
this?  That's only function that I really need in a software program,
aside from indefinite loops.

> I'm still hesitating because of the expense of a laptop, plus a new
sound card (my Layla 20 won't work with the Echo PC card). But it won't
be long. I'm
investigating Ableton to see if that would be good for what I do. In
addition to having Reaktor going, it would be cool to incorporate the B4
into it too, so I could do one-man organ trio stuff. But then I gotta
bring a keyboard....

Yes, the cost thing is critical. My laptop now will work, but it is a
consumer based Compaq Presario 2525US laptop with a desktop processor in
it (hence it is very thick and heavy). My next purchase will be a
comerical grade notebook with a Centrino mobile processor and loaded to
the gills with RAM, speed, etc. The only thing is that you can't
typically buy a comerical grade notebook at a retailer, but directly
from the manufacture....and I could pay up to $3000 for a decent unit.
I'll probably buy the HP Compaq nc6230, but IBM makes a REALLY solid
unit that has a good track record...it's the one that Intel's own
employees use.

Keep me/us posted. This week I'll start experimenting with Abeton Live
for the first time!

Many cool possibilities.

Mark Smart
http://www.marksmart.net