Re: tough crowds = big cities? kind rooms = smaller towns??

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 00:51:06 -0800, samba - <sambacomet@hotmail.com> wrote:

> But I know from experience it's possible to self promote.The idea that if
> you have a draw the clubs will hire you anyway means you have to cut
>them in
> on the profits.If you already have a draw,why do that?

Because not everyone has the money or time to set up their own shows.
A club is a good solution if you're making music that's popular,
particularly among people who like to buy drinks.  If you're making
non-popular music for non-drinkers, by all means rent out the
Shriner's Hall.

>    If I was in Boston ,where you can't spit without hitting a
>college,(there
> must be dozens in the greater area) I'd start doing free gigs on
>campuses,
> appear on college radio(always make friends with station mgrs and Djs
> ,remember their names for later promos Personal contact can get your
>stuff
> on the air.),and then advertise self produced events.Also student
> organizations have money to promote cultural events.Student groups also
>have
> free or very cheap use of campus facilities,and there are often people
>who
> are interested in learning to put on events who can work with you.

If I never have to deal with another student group, it'll be too soon.
 By definition they don't know what they're doing--that's why they're
in schoo.l  And they tend to be flakey, self-important and there's a
high turnover in student organizations.  I found them frustrating when
I was a student, and they don't seem to have improved in subsequent
years.

The other problem with trying to play a college is that you're
competing with all the bands made up of...students.  They're being
subsidized by their folks or the government, they have the time to
schmooze the students running the student center, and the stand a much
better chance of being able to deliver an audience of students once
they tell everyone in their dorm that they're playing a show in the
quad on Saturday night.

People
> will tend to identify with music they hear  and like during high
> school/college years.This is why major labels pay close attention to
>what's
> happening on campuses. At early stages it's not too hard to get people to
> help you fro little or nothing if they think it's going to go
>somewhere,or
> if they think they'll be able to soak up excess groupies,free beer, etc.

Please.  There's no such thing as "excess groupies".  No wait--do they
bring the free beer?