Re: The history of electroacoustic music

----- Original Message -----
From: "geoff smith" <looper@bluecocoa.co.uk>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2005 5:48 PM
Subject: The history of electroacoustic music

> Hi
> I am thinking of continuing my study next year by doing a
masters in
> electro acoustic music.
> If anyone could point me in the direction of some good
books on the
> history of electro acoustic music or good web sites etc.

Here are a few books that I got a lot out of:

This Holmes book is the first book I read on electronic
music and can probably be credited with my initial interest
in the subject:
http://tinyurl.com/4havt

http://tinyurl.com/44twm

http://tinyurl.com/4qq4v

Here is a good site about Pierre Schaeffer:

http://csunix1.lvc.edu/~snyder/em/schaef.html

> Also if anyone knows of a site or something that has a
list of the
> stand out electro acoustic pieces that have been.... I
guess turning
> points.... or of great significance to the history of the
music that
> would be great too.

Hmm, I dunno, Google it!

> Also if anyone has any guidance as to where a brilliant
institution
> would be to study this please go ahead and suggest
something.
> I am based in england, but would consider going abroad.
> best wishes
> geoff
>
> Jeff Williams
> Http://www.bluecocoa.co.uk
> check out audio extracts of my new e.p. that comes out in
May05

I'm biased because I live here, but the Univerity of
Illinois in the USA has very impressive facilities for
electronic and computer music. At different times I worked
as a tech in both labs and a lot of really interesting stuff
was happening:

http://ems.music.uiuc.edu/

Scott Wyatt has a great studio and is also a really nice
guy. Might be worth checking out.

Mark Smart
http://www.marksmart.net/