From: Per Boysen [mailto:per@boysen.se]
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 12:54 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: All-Laptop live?? (was RE: RE: A poll--shoes off?)

Hi,

Please remember that any discussion of latency is only valid IF you do
intend to use software monitoring on the machine (i.e. real-time effect
processing of your direct instrument input sound). If your instrument
input already sounds good you should use direct monitoring to pipe  it
directly to the output. Since audio software is usually compensating
for AD/DA latency, the part of the sound that is being processed and
looped by software will be catching up with the direct instrument sound
at the output in perfect sync (= no latency). I do this and usually
keep the buffer setting at 256 samples, sometimes 512.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
---
http://www.looproom.com (international)
http://www.boysen.se (Swedish site) http://www.cdbaby.com/perboysen

> At 8:24 AM -0700 3/14/05, Kris Hartung wrote:
>>
>> I have a friend who  bought a notebook, but decided to cut corners on

>> the processor....I noticed a huge difference in latency and
>> performance with ProTools.  We both had notebooks with similar RAM,
>> XP, and hard drive configurations. The only difference was our
>> processors.  It was very interesting. On ProTools in the Playback
>> Engine settings, I can run
>> my hardware buffer size at 256 samples with no latency.  He had to
run
>> his at 128, but then when he started to record it would crash
ProTools