Re: small digital recorder

I've narrowed my choices to 2 so far.

The Edirol R1 and the Tascam DP-01fx.

There is a third option. I COULD buy an el'cheapo
desktop PC, and put my recording software (Cubase
SL)on there...but I don't have room for that
equiptment...and I am close to maxing out my wall
outlets already. (I have an eight-legged sea creature
under my desk.)

The Tascam ($499 fx version):

PLUS:
--40 gig hard disk
--eight tracks (see minus)
--looping/repeat feature(I believe one track at a
time)
--midi sync out
--upload to PC via USB
--two phantom powered mic inputs
MINUS:
--no battery operation (no field recording)
--16/44.1 only
--only two tracks can be recorded "live" at once
--the "fx" version is 100 bucks more ($399 w/o)good
for resale value??

The Edirol ($439)

PLUS:
--small size
--uses two AA batteries or rechargables
--24khz/44.1 or mp3
--small size
MINUS:
--uses CF card, 2 gig/some 4gig card$$
--comes w/64mb card, must spend more $$ on bigger
card.
--no mic phantom power
--if using the mic jack, must be a stereo mic
--from what I can tell it ONLY records 24 bit, no 16
bit (no manual on-line)

that's what I came up with this evening.

=RANDY=