Re: visual metronome

He dislikes headphones? AND click tracks? Does he dislike this to the
point that he - under no circumstances - will submit to using clicks and
'phones? Dude, is this guy a ...professional? I'm sorry, but in all
honesty, it doesn't sound like it.
Have you explained your needs to this drummer? I find that a lot of
drummers are initially opposed to playing along with click tracks, but
most if not all the drummers I've recorded or played with over the years
have eventually softened up to the idea, once the posibilities of
working this way are made perfectly clear to them. Explain to him that
you can't be a drummer in the digital age and NOT play along with a
click. Using a click will broaden their scope substantially.

you could always lay down the rest of the track first, and then conduct
him while you listen on headphones. Or at least threaten to do so!

Andreas