two Boss DD-20s and an output secret

Title: FS: headrush v2
This may be the equivalent of "Looping 101," but Boy! did I ever concoct some major swirl last night! The concept is simple: feed the delayed output of DD-20 #1 into the input of DD-20 #2, and vice versa.

I use a Boss GT-3 to process my guitar, and the GT-3 has stereo outs, so I'll describe exactly how I set this up last night, but this should certainly work with a mono input as well.

Here's the long skinny: Each DD-20 has two inputs and two outputs, k? I plugged one of each of the two outputs of the GT-3 into one of the two inputs on each of the DD-20s. Then I plugged one of the two outputs of DD-20 #1 into my usual mixer/amp/speakers. I plugged the other output into the second input of DD-20 #2. One of the outputs of #2 went to the mixer/amp/speakers, and the other output of #2 went to the second input of DD-20 #1.

With both DD-20s set to maximum feedback and slightly different delay lengths (about 18 and 19 seconds), there was no unsightly oscillating feedback! No harsh buildup of static or clock noise! Notes with undefined attacks expanded like watercolor pigments on a wet paper towel. Well-defined notes established a rhythmic pulse like nobody's business. And with two feedback controls, two effect levels, and two output tone controls, the in's and out's and color-tints and stereo spreads and what-nots became V-E-R-Y T-H-I-C-K.

The use of the Behringer Ultralink that our new member Patrick just posted about would make switching between this setup and a more conventional setup rather easy.

Now here's an output secret for all you DD-20 owners: you probably know that the DD-20 has four output modes (stereo +4 dB, effect/direct +4 dB, stereo -10dB, and effect/direct -10 dB). Well, when you execute the voodoo ritual that sets the output, it sets the output for only the memory that the DD-20 is on at that moment! Which means you can customize the output mode for each memory location. Boy, I'm loving these creamy little conjoined stomperoos more and more with every passing millisecond.

Now I must go pester Mr. Kim about posting my DD-20 review on the LD web site.

Douglas Baldwin, coyote-at-large
coyotelk@optonline.net

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where pimps and thieves run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
--- Hunter S. Thompson