Re: FCB 101/RDP Question. I still don't get it.

At 05:18 PM 6/22/2005, Chris Sewell wrote:
>Ill buy a bottle of scotch to anyone who can help.

*See note below

>I have the FCB
>pedals programmed for all the standard footswitch controls, Rec,
>Overdub, etc.
>I just dont under stand how to program the Expression pedals.

I can't help you much with the FSB side, since I don't have one. But I
will
try to answer the EDP questions. I do remember something about the FSB
pedal needing to be calibrated, so you should look into that.

>I got
>emails saying they work just like the other pedals. But, they don't.
>For instance, record is note 38. What are the notes for Output
>volume. What should VolumeCont on the EDP be set at? Or FeedbackCont
>for that matter?

On the EDP, Output Volume and Feedback are always controlled by MIDI
Continuous Controller messages. They are never controlled by MIDI note
messages. Even if you set the ControlSource Parameter on the EDP to
"Notes", these two are still controlled by Continuous Controller messages.

Only the button press type functions can be controlled with MIDI note
messages. (like Record, Overdub, Multiply, etc.) I'll ignore this area
here, since it seems you have that working.

In MIDI, Continuous Controllers have two parts. One part of the command is
the Controller number. The second part of the command is the value.

For example, say you want to control volume on a device using MIDI. On
this
receiving device, you set which controller number is assigned for volume.
Let's say you set it to controller #7. (In the original MIDI spec,
Controller #7 was designated for volume, but in reality many devices let
you assign controller #'s any way you like.) Next you set your midi pedal
to send Controller #7 when you move the pedal. Then as you move the pedal,
your pedal will send MIDI controller commands with  controller #7, and
value from 0-127 depending on the position of the pedal.

In these cases, you need to make sure your pedal is sending the MIDI cc
messages on the same MIDI channel that the receiving device is listening
on.

Now for the EDP. The VolumeCont parameter is used to set which MIDI
Continuous Controller number is used to control volume. The default number
is 7. That's probably a good place to set it.

The FeedBkCont parameter is used to set which controller number is used
for
Feedback. The default is 1.

On your midi controller, set the pedals to send on the same MIDI channel
as
the Echoplex. For the pedal you wish to use to control volume, set it to
use Controller# 7, since that is the setting in the VolumeCont parameter.
For the pedal you wish to use to control Feedback, set it to 1 (or
whatever
you have FeedBkCont set to on the Echoplex.)

Now, assuming your midi pedal is working correctly, it should work!

>How do I let the EDP know which expression pedal it should listen to?
>How do I tell the FCB to send info from the expression pedals.
>I know once I get it, I'll get it. But this doesnt really make sense
>at the moment.
>Thanks in advance.

You are welcome, and I hope this helped! Let me know if you have questions
or if something still doesn't make sense.

kim

*I really like that Lagavulin. Highland Park has long been another fave.

And for the rest of you, please note how much faster I respond when there
are bribes involved. :-)