Rane, Behringer and other names...

Torstein,

I have to apologize for making a statement where I can't say anything
about its content of truth: I simply confused Rane and Rolls. I do not
have any experience with devices by Rane myself, so I simply can't
comment on this. On the other hand, I've come to the conclusion that a
lot of the statements about Behringer products on a great many rec
forums are not exactly matter-of-factly. A lot of these discussions
actually reached the Godwin-propability of 1 very quickly.

The problem with Behringer gear is that you cannot be sure what to
expect. Some of their stuff is great, not only for the price, but also
in comparison with products in a different price range. Some of their
stuff is simply crap and not worth the few bucks they charge for it. And
with some of the stuff it depends on your application: if a Behringer
console lasts for more than a dozen years (and is still fine) in its
specific application (hobbyist home use), then I can live without the
better reliability of, say, a Mackie which costs three times its price,
especially when the Behringer actually outperforms the Mackie with
regard to specifications.

I've used and/or test-driven a great lot of Behringer devices - if
anyone wants some first-hand experience, please mail me off-list with
your specific enquiry.

        Rainer