RE: means to an end (was "the diatonic-chromatic-noise paradigm")

>  >> is it valid to appreciate the music entirely disregarding how it got
> there? even if one were to accept that a musician is just a "channel"
> for some higher entity, & that the music comes through rather than is
> made by him, his listener in choosing to remain ignorant of this process
> is being a bit disrespectful, no?
>
> Good question.  From an emotional perspective, I am inclined to agree
> with you here that a listener disregarding the process by which you
> create your art is less than desirable, and even bordering
> disrespectful.

With no offense meant, this seems like an incredibly arrogant place to
be coming from in your artistic work(s).  Just to enlarge upon this idea
a bit; would a person who doesn't understand what lenses, type of film
and aperture settings were used and doesn't really care be somehow
disrespectful of the photo and the photographer?  Would they be suspect
in simply enjoying the image and taking some pleasure in viewing it
without investing the time and energy in learning about the origin and
process of that photo?  I know that the process of making music is
endlessly fascinating to those of us on this list, but to ask that any
potential audience you may have be educated and equally interested in
knowing how hard it is to configure the bazillion processors in parallel
(or how long it took to master that scale) so you could make that one
sound is asking a bit much I think.  Disrespectful?  Talking during a
performance might be but not being concerned with the human drama behind
the art?

Kevin

How amazing, how amazing!
Hard to comprehend that