Your Top 10 Favorite Guitarists & Samples

Title: Your Top 10 Favorite Guitarists & Samples

…thought I would send this along, not so much as a show n' tell of my influences and favorites, but a way for me to see what others have on their list, so that I can become acquainted with more music and players. Be sure to include a link to a sound clip if you provide the name…that's the point here.  I found most of these clips at Amazon.com. So if you can’t play the Real file, go to Amazon and look up the Windows Media version.

Kris

1. John Abercrombie

Stella by Starlight: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B000025ZX7001002/1/103-3999507-4687067 (beautiful interpretation of this standard…ver abstract, great drum solo from Pete Erskine, etc)

Furs On Ice: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B000025ZX7001001/1/103-3999507-4687067 (great showcase of the GR-300 guitar synth)

Carol's Carol: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B00000DTFY001005/1/103-3960595-1008640 (beautiful melody with Hammon organ too)

How's Never: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B000024J5P001006/1/103-3960595-1008640 (cool groove and odd time signature)

2. John Stowell (my biggest influence in light of those finger stretched chord voicings, playing the guitar more like a piano player, etc...have taken lessons from him in person, etc)

Scenes: http://music.msn.com/album/?album=10520480
Banff Sessions: http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/6156039/a/Banff+Sessions.htm
Portland Jazz Jams Interview: http://odeo.com/show/download/77920/4/libsyn.com.media.portlandjazzjams.PJJEpisode04JohnStowell061905.mp3

3. John McLaughlin

Jazz Jungle: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B00000471B001006/1/103-3999507-4687067 (what John himself considered the ideal jazz fusion song…totally savage tune with him using the ring modulator, etc)

Take the Coltrane: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B0000046Z2001001/1/103-3999507-4687067 (wonderful interpretation of this tune with Elvin Jones and Joey Defranceso on Hammon….I love the guitar solo on this

4. Terje Rypdal (probably  my all time favorite avant-garde composer…a genius in my mind)

Transition: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B0000261KW001007/0/103-4991088-4165407
Rainbow: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B00000DTE0001006/0/103-4991088-4165407
Waves: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B0000261JZ001004/1/103-4991088-4165407
The Return Of Per Ulv:  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B000024H5C001001/1/103-4991088-4165407

5. John Scofield

Boozer: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B0000069NM001003/1/103-4991088-4165407
I'll Take Les: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B000005GWA001001/1/103-4991088-4165407
Dark Blue: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B000005GWA001002/1/103-4991088-4165407
Blackout: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B00004RCAR001007/1/103-4991088-4165407
Acidhead: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B00005RTDC001001/1/103-4991088-4165407

6 Lorne Lofskey (another unkonwn but outstanding jazz player…uses very him chord voicings and has a great command of the fretboard)

All the Things You Are: http://www.lornelofsky.com/audio/allthings.mp3

7. Bill Frisell (need I say anything here?...I love his more abstract/avant-garde work, especially the live CD from Paris)

Throughout: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B00000322E001001/1/103-3999507-4687067
Strange Meeting: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B0000261PQ001006/1/103-3999507-4687067

8. Tal Farlow (unbelievable jazz guitarist that is not very well known, but influenced all the greats, like Jim Hall, etc)

Stella by Starlight: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B0000046YX001015/1/103-3960595-1008640 (Screamin'!)

9. Pat Metheny

Au Lait: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B0000262LA001003/1/103-3960595-1008640 (my favorite Metheny tune…very touching to me)

Bright Sized Life: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B0000261L9001001/1/103-3960595-1008640 (with Jaco!!!)
Giant Steps: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B000046S1F001002/1/103-3960595-1008640 (damn…)

10.   Pat Martino

Noshufuru: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B0000014M0001001/1/103-3960595-1008640

Other favorites that I didn't have time to add: Jeff Beck, Al DiMiola, Ronnie LeTekro (TNT), Paco DeLucia, Kenny Burrell, Joe Pass, Bereli Legrene, Mike Stearn, Jimmy Bruno