Re: My EDP Multiply Technique

Hi Phill-

At 11:24 AM 9/11/2005, phill wilson wrote:
>just wanted to share a technique of sorts that I found almost my accident.

great! I love to hear people sharing there techniques and discoveries!

>Well, basically what has often happened when I have been playing this
>song
>is thatthe wash notes have become kind of cloudy as they have been added,
>so that  by the time I have got to playing the strummed and picked bits
>it
>is very difficly to get the precise time of my loop.
>
>Enter my new EDP setup. What I ended up doing (at first by accident) is
>starting a multiply each time I faded up a new note to add to the pad
>clusters then ended at the point I thought was rythimcally correct
>(goverened in a loose sense be the singing) with record thus redefining
>the loop.

Ah, wonderful! I'm glad to see you found this useful. This is the function
we call "Unrounded Multiply". It is a really useful looping technique, as
you discovered. We created it pretty much for the exact reasons you are
using it.

Oftentimes loops start without a distinct rhythm. When you later introduce
a rhythm to the loop, it may not naturally fit with the loop length. In a
looper that lacks the flexibility to redefine loop lengths on the fly,
this
can create a big problem in performance. So we came up with the idea of
redefining the loop length as you add to it with Multiply.

In this way, you tap Multiply when you wish to start the new rhythmic
phrase you are adding to the loop. This creates the new StartPoint of the
loop. You play the phrase as you naturally feel it, for however long it
needs to go on, and at the end you tap Record to end the Multiply. Ending
any sort of recording process with Record sets a new end point and starts
things looping, and that is what happens here. The Record press ends the
loop at that point and sets the loop endpoint there, and the new loop
begins repeating seamlessly.

What is really nice about this is your new phrase can be longer or shorter
than your original loop. If it is longer, the original loop just keeps
multiplying underneath. If it is shorter, the original is truncated
according to where you put the new start and stop points.

You don't even need to look at the display or think about startpoints or
endpoints or cycles or anything! Just as you are doing, when you start
playing, tap Multiply. When you end tap Record. Very intuitive. You can
keep your eyes closed and look intense, or keep looking at the cute girls
in the front row, or keep singing, or whatever. No geeky screen gazing
necessary.

>The last time I played this song I redefined the loop pretty much at
>every
>other pass until I got all the parts laid down. What I ended up with was
>loop that stayed constantly rythmically correct in relation to my
>singing,
>but developed a very interesting glitch at the start once multiple
>redefinitions had been done.
>
>Im thinking the next step for me may be to try starting the remultiply at
>other points such as on the second chord and see what this distribution
>of
>loop-point-redefinition-glitches sounds like.

Keep exploring it, sounds like you are onto something!

>anyways, this may all be old hat to everyone else, or  completly useless,
>but I just got in from a gig and was stoked with the results of a cool
>accident!!

These are all new ideas thrown out there, how they really get used is
still
evolving. So keep it up, you may really take it somewhere new. Let us hear
what you do!

kim