RE: Looping in Stereo

 Wow, did anyone else get 15 copies of Stephen's response in their
inbox? No big deal.  See my comment belwo.

-----Original Message-----
From: S V G [mailto:vsyevolod@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 7:55 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: Looping in Stereo

     > Yes Kris, the Repeater loops either 4 mono loops, 2 stereo loops,
or 2 mono with 1 stereo loop.  All simultaneous loops are by necessity
all the same length.  Maximum loop time is 8 minutes, regardless of the
size of the CFC card.

Thanks for sharing this. I had no idea. This seems to open up some
interesting possibilities. I'll have to get online and read more about
the specs.

   > Having the ability to do stereo loops, I find myself consistently
looping mono and "stereoizing" the loops after the Repeater.

I did this initially, but I find it restricting. It basically doesn't
allow you to record a unique set of effects with each loop. I couldn't
justify the point have spending thousands of dollars on stereo effect if
I couldn't actually reflect them uniquely in each sequential loop.
Otherwise, you stuck using a unique set of effects, but over all your
prior loops....thus mushing everythign together.

> For my way of working, this is a far more efficient use of resources.
You have to remember that all aux sends and/or busses need to process in
stereo, and the resources of your mixer come under the gun.

Yes, I am aware of this and it is to my advantage, I have the Mackie
1642VLX and I use only busses 1 and 2 to generate stereo looping with
any of the 16 channels on the board. Basically, my signal chain is one
of the following, depending on whether I'm looping just guitar or guitar
with vocals, percussion, etc:

1) JUST GUITAR: Guitar - Boss VF1 - Computer (with VST effects) - two
EDPs - Mackie 1202VLZ - out in stereo to powered PA speakers
2) GUITAR and OTHER INSTRUMENTS: Guitar/Percussion/Vocals/ETC - Mackie
1642VLS - out in stereo to powered PA Speakers
        a) Buss Configuration: Out of busses 1 and 2 to stereo ins of
EDPs - out of EDPs to two mixer channels in stereo

In 2) I am able to press a single button on any of the 14 channels (2
being the input for the EDPs) and pop them in out out of my stereo EDP
mix...all true stereo and a unique set of effects with each loop
sequence.  I get CD quality results each time. I can't think of a better
setup for myself. I'm in true stereo, I can loop 14 instruments, and I'm
not using my AUX channels. I use one Aux channel for my Lexicon LXP1 to
apply a nice reverb on the entire mix. Looping reverb is
attrocioius....it doesn't capture the decays if you are using delicate
input levels.

 > As an example of my signal flow, I send all instruments (myself and
others) through a Mackie
1604 (16 channel, 4 buss, 6 aux sends).  This gives me 8 stereo inputs.
One of the aux sends feeds the Repeater (which is "dry muted", not
passing the original signal).  The Repeater then comes back into the
mixer and is routed to the other FX via a buss or another aux send,
which lend a stereo field to the otherwise mono sound.  If I want to
send a stereo signal to the Repeater, the mixer allows me to do that
easily, though at the cost of another aux send and input channel.

Yep, I've done this before. I use the busses and buttons because then I
can take instrumetns in out and out my EDP mix without turnig those AUX
nobs on each channel, which would be ridiculous. I simply press the 1-2
or 3-4 buss button on the channels. Very simple and easy.

Kris

Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005 http://mail.yahoo.com