Re: why do we loop?

> --- Dennis Montgomery <morpheus@speakeasy.net> wrote:
> > Usually that's enough but there's sometimes that
> nagging feeling of
> > 'Is there anybody out there?'

As someone who has never gigged out at all I may be in a strange
position to comment on this, but I do find myself drawn to the idea of
playing live.  I keep asking myself why I'd want to put myself through
the hassles (and I get really tense about performing in public, be it
teaching or anything at all where I am the focus of attention).  The
answer that keeps coming back is just that I'd like to see how the music
changes when I have even more attention and energy available.  I play a
completely improvised thing that can range over a whole lot of ground
pretty quickly and have found that it is very personal and sometimes
transformative (even if just from agitated to calm or something more
profound).  I feel this music largely comes through me and is not really
'mine' in that I have very little idea what's coming next or how its
going to sound until its happening.  As a result, I've always felt that
if I could maintain my openess to that state (as well as my composure
and ability to play under scrutiny) with an audience present, there
would be much more energy to work with and the people listening would
have a direct impact on what came through and I find myself wondering
how that would sound.

Of course this hasn't been enough of a lure to get me on a stage
anywhere, but I do wonder about the energy that an audience could bring
to the sound.

Kevin

How amazing, how amazing!
Hard to comprehend that