Re: VSTs in Ten Years. Was:Re: Building a rackmount looping computeras an alternative to the Receptor for Mobius

Ken Higgins wrote:
> Yowza,  I'll like in on that bet.  There is no way that "the VSTs you
> have right now" will work on an average 'new machine' in ten years.
> Speaking as an old-fart programmer since the Apple ][ days, and
> broadcast engineer today.

As I said earlier, I don't think it is accurate to expect the upgrade
problems we have been experiencing in the last 20 years to continue.
Home computer operating systems have been more or less attempting
to become Unix for the past 20 years.  Now they've achieved that.
I have a pretty good idea of what operating systems are going to look like
in 10 years, and apart from eye candy in the user interface and bloating
up with more applications, they're not going to be that much different.

I'm also confident that I can write a VST host application that
will run the VSTs of today on tomorrows machines.  I don't really
want to, but if the price of vintage Repeaters increases substantially
I may be forced into it. :-)

Jeff