Re: Building a rackmount looping computer as an alternative to the Receptor for Mobius

Thanks Kim for this excellent explanation!

I realize that many of the questions I may ask are "old hat" things for
some of you, but they are new questions for me as a musician who has come
from more of an acoustic background and has not been immersed in
electronic
gadgets.

>While not quite so life-and-death critical, all electronic musical
>instruments are similarly designed as Real-Time computer systems. The
>hardware architecture is designed for real-time, it runs a Real-Time OS,
>and the software applications and functions running on top are tuned to
>this real-time environment. These electronic instruments are designed
>this
>way because musicians care a lot about rhythmic accuracy, and they want
>their instrument to respond in time so they don't get off the beat.

I can certainly appreciate the whole issues of timing. Being a hammered
dulcimer player, there just isn't any forgiveness as to where that note
starts, a lot like a drum, the strike is on the beat or..... well you know.

>And so this idea of making the PC do everything is kind of an old, yet
>tired dream that keeps coming back.

Isn' t it those unfulfilled dreams that keep creative people working,
looking for some solution? I don't want or expect my pc to do
everything....

So with my edp I can create loops, add to them, extend them, switch them
around, overdub on top of. It's great I'm not putting that down. I just
want to add the ability to make new loops that are synced and play along
side but have independant control over the feedback, volume and panning.
At
the moment it looks like the only way to do that is by adding more
loopers,
or with a program like mobius.  So maybe you guys could install mobius
into
an edp case and have the perfect loopstation..... What do you think?

Or maybe that is what the looperlative is?????

Paul Haslem