Re: Looping back to Krispen's old critics thread (was sorta: using laptops for music"

On Wednesday, October 26, 2005, at 08:36 PM, Kris Hartung wrote:

> Oh yes, another poor and innocent virgin listener, violated by the
> horrific
> maw of experimental music...and of course, he feels compelled to share
> his
> experience with the world.  :)

Well, he is a critic, after all :-)

Actually, I think he gives a fairly open-minded assessment of the
performances, and, having seen a number of the artists involved in the
festival, I tend to agree with his opinions on the various performers.
Keith Rowe is amazingly great, I remember the first time I saw AMM, at
the duMaurier fest in Vancouver BC in the early 90's, just being
stupefied at his subtlety and artistry. I left that performance feeling
like my ears had been permanently rewired. I disagree with his take on
Greg Kelley, Greg's doing something that I think is very new and
virtuosic on trumpet. Plus, he's a hell of a nice guy. But I do feel
that some of the new non-idiomatic improv, experimental, "lower-case
sound" or whatever they're calling it this week is overrated in some
parts of the music press, particularly The Wire magazine. I've been to
too many performances where nothing happens, and it's all done with
such seriousness of intent, that I long for something, ANYTHING to
happen. I know from personal experience that there are wankers and
charlatans in experimental music world, just like any other music
scene, and just because an artist is doing something "experimental"
they shouldn't be automatically above criticism. Hell, any science grad
student will tell you that the majority of experiments fail...