RE: the perfect [sic] controller

I used to think pedals were essential, but I've become a believer in
up/down
buttons to change continuous values - they're lighter than pedals, don't
have the "synchronization" issues, and work well, in my experience, for
volume changes. I've been thinking for a while I'd like something like the
Behringer, with the footpedals gone (with one input for an external pedal
in
those cases when you just can't do without), but with up/down sensing on
the
switches (i.e., a separate MIDI event for the switch up, not just the
switch
down). This would allow sw to detect "long presses" of a button, a la EDP,
and also to increase or decrease volume as long as a switch was held down.
(without this function in the Behringer, I've had to implement a separate
footswitch to initiate a Fade function - otherwise I could just hold a
switch down). In my fantasy world, at least a couple of the switches
(available to be used for up/down) would be pressure sensitive (and
probably
convey this via Aftertouch messages), so that you could fade faster by
leaning into it more.

A 4-6 char display over each button that could be set via a MIDI message
would be awesome! If we had to settle for a single display, give me a large
one with enough space to label each switch, please. THE DISPLAY MUST BE
PROGRAMMABLE VIA MIDI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (like I can make "demands" of a
theoretical product that I probably can't afford... But I think this is
really important).

As far as the sw structure of the footpedal, I don't think it needs much,
apart from MIDI knowledge - as a programmer my bias is towards interpreting
everything at the computer. I think 12 buttons, as Per suggests, is right:
the receiving sw can interpret two buttons as bank up/down if it wishes,
and
relabel all the buttons on the fly. That way, although you do have to
supply
logic for a MIDI interpreter in the footunit, you don't have to create a
preset editing system, which is bound to be a time-consuming and thankless
process. HOWEVER, then you're limiting the use of the unit to musicians
with
smart instruments and making it fairly unsuitable for the average gtr
player
controlling a rig. Which is probably just the right thing to do.

Best wishes,
Warren Sirota