Re: VG-88 and Roland GR-33 dissapearing rumors

At 9:38 AM -0800 12/25/05, David Coffin wrote:

>Yup; the 88 is NOT an added-features version of the 8; that was the
>8ex; Roland did update the 8, and have also updated the 88, but they
>remain very different implementations of the basic idea, with NO way
>to exactly duplicate any of the synth (or other) sounds from one to
>the other, altho in some cases you might come close, esp. with the
>basic guitar sounds. There are a few nominally similar models in
>each, but by the time you've added FX (VERY different FX on each
>piece) or the pitch-shifting, they're chalk and cheese.

Thanks for clarifying that, David.  I'm now thinking that the
original 8 (or, more correctly, an S-1 or EX) is really more in line
with what I'm looking for.

>>Can you do the pedal crossfades you mentioned using a MIDI
>>Controller, or do you have to use an external expression pedal (I'm
>>assuming probably an EV-5)?
>
>Good question; I always use an EV, and haven't explored the MIDI
>options. But they aren't too deep as I recall.

Just went through the MIDI Implementation Chart (p. 144) in the
manual.  Yipes!  I didn't realize it would be quite so limited.
Aside from SysEx, it only really deals with Bank Select and Program
Change messages.

Well, I'm ending up with more & more stuff creeping onto the floor.
I guess one more expression pedal ain't really gonna hurt nothin'....
:P

>>Finally, can the original VG-8 do the polyphonic "slow gear" effect?
>
>Nope; that's an 88 trick.

Drat!  That's the one algorithm I was really hopeful for.  Oh well,
I've got one of the WP-20g's with which I can do that effect.  I was
just hoping I might be able to consolidate two devices into one.

>The "hum" problem is a nasty situation that can arise when linking
>an 8 and an 88 with Roland's US-20 ABY switcher; this may have been
>fixed in currently shipping versions, but I can't confirm.

Sounds like I may need to post that particular question to the Yahoo
Group.  I'm also curious if that bug is peculiar to just using the 8
& 88 used together, or if I might run into it using the VG-8 with the
WP-20g.  Probably ought to instead consider the GKP-4 parallel box,
anyway.

>There's no question that the 88 has some very cool synth and FX
>features, but if that's what you're going for, instead of a variax
>in a box, get an 8ex. You won't regret it:) Even if there's an 888
>at the next NAMM...

Thanks again for all the helpful advice!!!  :)

        --m.

--
_______
"No more building up; it is time to dissolve..."