Re: laptop based loopers/effects for live

On 29 dec 2005, at 17.43, Michael Plishka wrote:

> I believe that this was discussed before, if so, forgive me, but
> those who
> loop live and use laptops, have you ever had any glitches live and
> how do
> you prepare yourself for such an occurrence?

Do you mean audio artifacts? No, I play a lot through the lappy at
home and bog it down heavily to get a feel for where the limits are.
I don't want to go over 50 % CPU usage, but if I kick it all the way
to 90 % the fidelity goes down. This is with good audio interfaces
meant for musicians, I have not done any testing with the built-in
sound cards.

> In spite of using computers in all aspects of my life (and maybe
> because of
> it!!) I just don't trust being on stage with a laptop and trusting my
> performance into Bill Gates' hands.

I don't mind doing that. After all, the aim of improvised music is to
take risks and eventually win big. So if you you set the controls for
the the highest level and happen fall flat to the ground you can
always start over again by telling the audience that they just were
lucky to witness something very rare and unique ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)
www.boysen.se (Swedish)