Re: laptop for live music

I used to have a Dell laptop from work that I tried to use as an audio
computer.  It exhibited the hum problem that some people have mentioned
(and *didn't* hum when it was run on batteries).  After a lot of
searching and talking to Dell people, I finally found that the Dell
laptops have a known grounding issue that can cause the hum.  First I
read from others that they had the same problem - and a couple of these
people said that a Dell helpdesk person told them it was a known
problem.  After a couple of calls to Dell, I finally got one of them to
tell me the same thing.  He said it was not a well known fact amongst
the helpdesk folks, but that it was in the Dell knowledge base.

I can't say if they've fixed it on newer models, but I know I'll never
try a Dell as an audio laptop again.

I have a Thinkpad T40 now that I've done some experiementing with, and
it performs very well.

Doug