Re: feedback/features/new loopers...

the big vampires need all these marketing & developing tools & tricks...
the small guy has a dream...
the mice & sheep take what they are givin...
wise men wonder why...

Kris Hartung <khartung@cableone.net> wrote:
Here's an example. I used to work in R&D for HP, and I managed a database
and tool that stored product requirements (features, behaviors, benefits,
priority, etc) for LaserJet printers. I worked with other folks in R&D and
future product marketing. They reviewed and collected requirements from
customers via various data collection methods - focus groups, surveys,
interviews with executives, industry analysts, and power users, etc. Once we
completed the requirement collection and validation, I used the tool to
generate various reports for marketing and R&D leads. They used that data in
R&D to drive the design of the product. This process helped us develop award
winning products. I specifically remember features that were developed
because of direct customer input. If we had left it up to the engineers to
design the product, that would have resulted in a product designed with
features that they thought were important, but which weren't necessarily
important to the target customer. The engineers often had a completely
different view of what features they wanted to build in to the
product...often driven by capability or leveraging their area of specialty,
or something else they were working on. I'm willing to bet that if you
probed all of the fortune 500 companies, you would find that they had a
similar process for designing products...and they wouldn't consider it a
process of mediocrity, but one of necessity to survive and compete in the
marketplace.

Kris